Saturday, May 12, 2007

6 Days Later..

It's funny how downtime in-between jaunts can lead one to believe or hope that conditions would/will change change for the better....

However, the only thing that was in my favour was warmer air temps. Still low flows (3.2cms) and gin clear water meant switching out to 12' leaders and 6x & even 7x tippets times.

A cool, crisp morning with some light fog patches always leads to a good BWO & Midge hatch in early morning. Yet with water temps still around (46-47F) the "big boys/mama's are still in a lethargic mode until well int to the morning, when the sun has wamred everything adequately. Cold enough water temps, that even the recent annual stocking of 8"-12" fish were not into nymphing or the afore-mentioned surface action.

However it gave me time to familiarize myself with the new Sage Z-Axis 486-4 I was lucky enough to borrow. Able to roll cast almost as good as my SP 490-2 and track very well during Nymphing presentations, I was impressed. It also lands #22 dries out, like it's "painting them on water" ... Shyte..this stick even tosses a #2 Puglisi bait pattern with authority !

My efforts were rewarded with this 22-1/4 (measured) incher, putting a good bend in the 486-4 at times.



Definately not the early season I'm accustomed to on this watershed, but at least the Caddis should be coming off in a few weeks. Then.. the big boys/mama's will get stupid... Maybe I'll be able to actually time the Hendrickson's this year ??

Time will tell...Until next time.. back to the tying bench..

2 comments:

Trotsky said...

That fish almost looks green?
Nice fish.
Looks like it will be (shudder) Walleye fishing for here on out.
ugh
This end of the lake has gone dead.

Bear in mind that I will be living vicariously through this blog (and others) for a while so I will be expecting you clowns to carry me through til the fall.
10-4?
:o)

SD said...

I might of over-saturated the editing of the pic :-O

Hopefully, I'll keep you entertained with pics & reports over the Summer...