Monday, September 3, 2007

Served


So the Professor convinces me for one last (or second last) kick at the Grand this year for this past long weekend. Figuring I had been given Sage's newest release (ZXL) to mess around with for the Mrs', I figure what the heck. Sept is usually a good month to search out some of the Grand's hogs that are feeding up on Sept Caddis, Micro Caddis and the like. The fish are relaxed, on the feed & to a degree predictable.


Every-once-in-awhile a fish comes along (regardless of species) that completely humbles you. Regardless of what experiences you may have, had it completely does something that you are un-prepared for. Yesterday was the case, as I tied into a brute of a Hog. We had heard reports of this 28"-30" fish haunting our fav hole all year. Local guides had clients tie in the brute on occasion this year only to be owned by it. As luck would have it, yesterday was to be my turn. The take was subtle, but the battle that ensued was anything but & short lived. You just know you've got a pig on when a #5Wt is bent over & bucking wildly, resounding out the big shoulder-to-shoulder head shakes thats going on. A long hard run deep back into the slack water of the pool, with more head shakes and zig-zagging going on & next thing I know the whole line comes flying back at me. Served.... badly... I threw all my stink at him/her and they did the same, ultimately showing why they have reached that size.

The picture above is of the Proffesors' 22-1/2" that I christened last years new release from Sage (Z-Axis) on earlier this year. Adding insult to injury on the day...

Yup served...

No comments: